US Presidential Scholars nominated

Aileen Herman and Andrew Cao (16) pose as nominated Presidential Scholars.

Aileen Herman and Andrew Cao (’16) pose as nominated Presidential Scholars.

The U.S. Presidential Scholars Program, currently in its 52nd year, strives to recognize and honor some of our country’s remarkably distinguished graduating high school seniors. Application to this program is by invitation only: Each Chief State School Officer may nominate ten males and ten females, all of whom are high school seniors who have scored exceptionally well on either the SAT or the ACT. The candidates then undergo a scrupulous application process, during which they must submit candidacy materials such as essays, high school transcripts, and self-assessments. Students are evaluated on numerous areas, including academic and artistic achievement, leadership, personal qualities, service, extracurricular activities, as well as their essays.

Interestingly, this year only 79 students were nominated from Wisconsin; of these seniors, three were from the Elmbrook School District, with two from Brookfield Central: Andrew Cao (’16) and Aileen Herman (’16).

A distinguished panel of educators is currently reviewing submissions and will notify the 800 semifinalists in early April. During the final process, the Commission on Presidential Scholars, which consists of a group of up to 32 esteemed citizens appointed by the President, will select finalists, and the U.S. Department of Education will announce up to 161 Presidential Scholars in May. Congratulations to our gifted students!