Flipped Classroom: Pros

With recent changes in scheduling, numerous AP and regular teachers at Brookfield Central have decided to “flip” their classes. Essentially, this means that students watch lecture videos at home and then, while in class the next day, they work on homework problems.

I had the opportunity to experience one of these classes first hand by taking AP Chemistry with Mrs. Thompson. This year was the first time she changed her teaching style to the flipped method, therefore, we were basically her guinea pigs for the flipped classroom. Personally, I prefer the flipped class to the traditional class for a variety of reasons.

First of all, having a flipped classroom allows the students to use their time more effectively and efficiently. I found that the videos I had to watch for each chapter were often much more condensed and informative than most lectures I had listened to in regular classes. Without any interruptions, the lectures stayed on task and got right to the meat and potatoes of the material.

Additionally, students don’t have to waste time struggling with homework problems for hours because, with a flipped style, the teacher is present and available to guide students through more thought-provoking problems. Furthermore, anyone in class who finished homework ahead of time could get a head start on the next section and watch the posted videos for the next chapter. This allows each student to go at their own pace, and teachers don’t have to hold students back if the rest of the class isn’t ready to move on.

In addition, due to the system flipped classes have of publishing the content online, it is much easier for students to review material and stay organized. In my AP Chemistry class, the videos, video summary worksheets, homework packets, and packet answer keys were all published on one website, and organized into folders for each chapter. By doing this, flipped classrooms make it possible for students to access information quickly and easily, since they don’t have to deal with trying to find all their scattered notes and physical paper packets.

Furthermore, it is extremely effortless to locate notes and videos to review before tests or exams, like for stressful AP exams. Also, if unable to comprehend the content of videos the first time watching them, students are able to re-watch the video as many times as necessary to fully understand the concepts.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed having a flipped classroom for AP Chemistry with Mrs. Thompson. Understandably, a flipped classroom for certain classes wouldn’t be as profitable in my opinion, like a foreign language class or English class. However, for the class I had, and science classes especially, I would argue that the benefits of a more efficient and effective use of time and easier access for reviewing tremendously outweigh the negative aspects of flipped classes.