Brookfield Central Tyro

Chick-Fil-A Leadership Academy hosts 5k

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chick-Fil-A Leadership Academy hosts 5k

Adam Uy ('20) sprints along the track during the Fight Like a Kid 5k. Out of the 50 participants, Uy finished first.

Ellen Linnihan

Ellen Linnihan

Ellen Linnihan

Emily Otten, Online Editor

Early in the morning of May 5th, the Chick-Fil-A Leadership Academy hosted its second annual Fight Like a Kid 5k to raise money for the Midwest Athletes Against Child Cancer (MACC) Fund, which helps children with cancer.

The run started at the football scoreboard of Brookfield Central, followed a route East on North Avenue to Pilgrim Parkway and onto Gebhardt Road back to Brookfield Central. There were about 50 participants, all of whom were extremely enthusiastic to run/walk for such a great cause, including some cancer survivors themselves.

The members of the Chick-Fil-A Leadership Academy planned the run with the help of Mr. Hipp and Mrs. Linnihan for their yearly Impact Project, which is a project designed to raise money for an organization through a community event. Not only did the run help the MACC fund, it also helped many of the Chick-Fil-A Leaders, some of whom had never planned an event like this before.

“It was a really exciting experience,” states Lauren Roskopf (‘20), one of the leaders who helped plan the event. “It is just so uplifting to know that all of our hard work is going to support such a great cause, and it’s really fun to see all of the different people who were affected by cancer in some way fight back”.

All in all, the Fight Like a Kid 5k was a success, raising money for the MACC fund and teaching the members the true essence of leadership and service.

Emily Otten, Online Editor

Emily Otten is currently a Junior and an Online Editor for Tyro. Emily a Co-Captain of the Marching Band Colorguard and is a member of DECA, Mock Trial,...