Brookfield Central Tyro

Girls Golf wraps up season at state

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls Golf wraps up season at state

Sarah Balding ('22) hits a shot out of the bunker, a shallow pit filled with sand. Out of the seventeen years BC Girls Golf has been established, the team has qualified for state sixteen times. Their year marks their eighth year in a row.

Jim Kelsh

Jim Kelsh

Jim Kelsh

Bonnie Jin, Reporter

After the top four girls in the varsity lineup graduated last year, the team and its coaches were left with much trepidation for the upcoming season. As the only returning varsity player, Bonnie Jin (‘19) knew it would be a rough and long season. However, as each tournament and invite resulted in low scores and high placements, the prospect of going to state again became more feasible.

As the Lancers became GMC Champions for the 5th year in the row, the trip to state was within grasp. Confidence brimmed within the younger golfers along with the pressure and tension. Regionals passed with flying colors as this new team went home as champions with a bounce in their step as they prepared for the most stressful part of the playoffs.

Sectionals ramped up the tension for the Lancers since Kettle Moraine, their main competitor, was in the same sectional alongside Brookfield East, Menomonee Falls, Franklin and other schools. As the days counted down, the girls worked even harder at practices and during the weekend, playing practice rounds as much as they could. In a very close round with only a two-shot difference between KM and the Lancers, the girls took second and made it to state.

With a police escort, a decorated van and gift bags from the boys team, the Lancers started their three-day trip to state. The WIAA State Championship was held at University Ridge golf course in Madison from Oct. 8-9 with a practice round the day before. Extra towels and gear were brought to prepare for the worst conditions possible. Fortunately, these were never used since the downpour during Sunday’s practice round set up warm and beautiful conditions Monday-Tuesday.

State was an exciting time for everyone, but especially for the four new girls in the lineup that had never there before. Sarah Balding (‘22), Sami Krutz (‘20), Kyley Wipper (‘21) and CJ Romero (‘21) were first-time state participants and fully experienced the Lancer tradition of going to Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse. Monday started with nerves and butterflies and ended disappointedly for the Lancers as they shot their worst score this season yet: 348. Teetering in 4th place, they put on their game face on Tuesday and solidified their standings.

While the Lancers went home crestfallen, they also knew that this was only the beginning. Everyone had an fantastic season and they fought incredibly hard at State. Only one senior was graduating this year, and the potential hidden within the Lancer Golf program is unlimited. Another year, another chance.