Brookfield Central Tyro

Girls volleyball player commits to Minnesota

Back to Article
Back to Article

McKenna Wucherer ('22) sends the ball flying over an opposing member's head. Though new to BC, Wucherer has made a name for herself as one of the best players on the team.

Taylor Canitz, Reporter

Phenomenal freshman, Mckenna Wucherer has committed to play college division one volleyball at The University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Mckenna has gotten to a point where her hard work and determination has paid off.

As someone who has played on a team with Wucherer, I can attest that she is the epitome of a perfect teammate. She strives to improve everyone around her while also challenging herself as a player. Mckenna started playing volleyball at age six, following in the footsteps of her two older sisters as well as her mom. When Mckenna was young, her mom passed away from cancer.

She views this tragic experience as motivation, saying, “It has inspired me to play, and to strive for big goals just to make her proud.” Having already committed to a school with one of the most rigorous volleyball programs in the country, Wucherer has high hopes for her future career. When asked about her aspirations, Mckenna answered: “I hope to start at The University of Minnesota, to play professionally, and to one day represent my country at the Olympics.”

After only one season as a Lancer, Wucherer led the team in aces, kills, and had the highest hitting percentage. As a result of her success, Mckenna received First Team All-Conference, Player of The Year in the Greater Metro Conference, as well as First Team All-State Honors. For Mckenna, the future is bright, and the sky is far from the limit.