The student news site of Brookfield Central High School in Brookfield, Wisconsin

Brookfield Central Tyro

Brookfield Central Tyro

Brookfield Central Tyro

Endometriosis Awareness Month

Endometriosis Awareness Month

March marks the beginning of Endometriosis Awareness Month, a women’s reproductive organ disease. It occurs when tissue lining in the uterus grows in other areas, such as the fallopian tubes or ovaries. [1]
The nature of the condition is extremely painful and often difficult to diagnose definitively because the symptoms overlap with common symptoms experienced during menstruation. This includes lower back pain, bloating, and fatigue. Additionally, menstrual pain has been normalized over time and as a result, women tend to understate the severity of their symptoms.
On the provider side, endometriosis can only be proven absolutely through laparoscopic surgery, a process in which a short, narrow tube is put into an incision in the abdomen [2] . Even though the surgery is not invasive, takes less time, and has a quick recovery period, surgery is not accessible to many.
The bigger problem, however, is that providers are overly dismissive of women’s health concerns. A 2022 representative survey was conducted, including 5,145 women aged 18 to 64. The survey found that 29% reported a doctor had dismissed their concerns, 15% reported a provider did not believe they were telling the truth, 19% said their doctor assumed something about them without asking, and 13% said their provider suggested they were at fault for their health issues. [3] This outright disregard for women’s self-advocacy — along with misinformation, stigma, and ingrained shame — has created several barriers for cost-effective, unbiased, and proper treatment.
Currently, there is no cure for endometriosis. There is only one FDA-approved pill, which further highlights how underfunded women’s health research really is. Sawsan As-Sanie, a gynecological surgeon at the University of Michigan’s Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital, affirmed that, “it is unfortunate that a condition that negatively impacts millions of women’s physical and emotional well-being, quality of life and productivity remains so poorly underfunded and under-researched […] minimal investment in this area has significantly limited our understanding of the disease and slowed progress in treatment.”[4]
On the bright side, As-Sanie as well as several other researchers have started to move the needle, starting with outlining research gaps and common misconceptions.
Endometriosis Awareness Month has been christened with the yellow ribbon, and several local organizations, such as the Endometriosis Awareness Association, headquartered in Milwaukee, have been effective in providing education and organizing fundraising initiatives.
For those living with endometriosis, the month of March serves as both a moment for awareness and a call to end the cycle of dismissal and perpetuated shame associated with women’s reproductive health issues.

[1], [2], [3], [4]