Are AP Reviews Helpful?

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year.” Warmer temperatures are on the way, the shorts are being taken out of the closet, and AP exams have arrived. Students have prepared for months, and many find their review in the form of a review session, offered by many of the AP class teachers. I myself have attended every AP European History review session that has been held, and found them extremely helpful. The unfortunate thing is, it seems that only a handful of people seem to have the same opinion as me.

At the first review, Mr. McBride’s classroom was packed, so much that some people were sitting on the floor or at the back tables. Only a couple months after they began, the numbers dwindled to less than 20 people at the last session. I know that people have busy lives outside of school, but reasonably could have taken two hours out of their week to go to some review sessions.

For myself, I had AP Euro first semester, so my memory of all of the details needed dusting off. These reviews were extremely helpful for people like myself, who have not been drilled with the material for months. I understand that some people study differently, and don’t like the lecture-type review that Mr. Aslakson and Mr. McBride offered. However, more people should have attended these reviews due to the effort that teachers put in and the sheer amount of material covered in courses.

From a teacher’s perspective, the people who went to the reviews are often those who needed the review the least and could easily obtain a 3 on the exam. Mrs. Evans explained her frustration with AP Lang reviews, saying that she only had between one and seven people show up, and they were the kind of students who didn’t necessarily need the extra review.

To be completely honest, the reviews are actually kind of fun. I enjoyed coming to school early on Friday’s with my juice in hand and staying after on Wednesdays. Additionally, I learned better by discussing more challenging topics with teachers. AP teachers really want their students to succeed, not just Mr. Aslakson and Mr. McBride. They put in their precious time and energy to hold review sessions, and are there to help the students prepare for their college exams; thus, review sessions deserved greater attendance and participation.