The student news site of Brookfield Central High School in Brookfield, Wisconsin

Brookfield Central Tyro

What I have (and haven’t) learned in high school

David Miech (‘17) at the Milwaukee Military Access Processing Station (MEPS). Miech will be entering the Army after graduation.

DAVID MIECH

DAVID MIECH

What have I learned in these past four years? You probably expect me to say “nothing.” Have you seen who wrote this article? Now you have.

The only thing I’m sure I really know is how little I know. But to all future students, I can certainly tell you that procrastinating didn’t help.

The extent of my academic advice is this quote from Christopher Parker: “Procrastination is like a credit card; it’s a lot of fun until you get the bill.”

If you know me, you know that I’m not a very dedicated student. What’s the point of learning calculus if I’m never going to use it again? Why memorize a bunch of vocabulary words to regurgitate them onto a test and forget them right after?
Academically, I can safely say that I learned only what I was interested in and nothing more. For what one learns with dissatisfaction will soon be forgotten, but what is learned with pleasure will remain for a lifetime.

Often times, however, it is who has done the teaching that is more important than the material. I had teachers that really took to heart this Einstein quote: “education is not the learning of the facts, but the training of the mind to think.”
There were some that went far above and beyond their traditional roles as educators. I can guarantee that every graduating student has a teacher to thank for their learning. So, speaking on of behalf of the senior class, I want to say thank you to every teacher that really made it their goal to help someone.

The most important thing I have learned, however, is about to sound like the sappiest thing you’ve ever heard: be yourself.
I’m not going to change society anytime soon, nor the mindset of any influencers. Keep in mind, though, that your future should rest with your choices and yours alone.

If the whole world is telling you not to do something that you want to do, it is your duty to plant your feet and say, “stop me.” (Actually, if everyone in the world is telling you not to do something, you probably shouldn’t because it’s most likely idiotic.)
However, know that you have the will and strength to do what you want if need be. Good luck to the class of 2017!