Newsies cast and crew prepare for upcoming performances

Hannah Prudlow

Ensemble members rehearse in the cafeteria. The cast in comprised of mainly girls, and they play male characters because the story is about paper boys. Hannah Prudlow (’19) comments on her experience, “I can’t say enough good things about this musical. It is definitely going to be one of my best high school memories!”

This year, Brookfield Central’s annual production stems from the Disney movie Newsies. Initially a negatively received film, it was later adapted into a highly successful Broadway musical that garnered six Tony nominations and two wins. As the first high school in the country to showcase this production, the stakes for a phenomenal performance are very high. However, Central has never failed to put up an amazing and entrancing performance.

Last year’s Cinderella, for instance, was sold out within the first few days of school sales. Similar to prior years, preparation for Newsies has been a huge affair. Choir Director Mrs. Allison Hickman states, “Rehearsals for Newsies are well underway with our largest cast ever (57 students!), our amazing pit orchestra and our talented stage crew. We are excited to be one of the first to perform this production and we think the audience is really going to enjoy the powerful music and amazing dancing on stage.”

Loosely based on the New York City Newsboys’ Strike of 1899, Newsies tells the story of newsboy Jack Kelly who dreams of a life far from the hardship of the streets. Joseph Pulitzer, the newspaper owner, raises the prices for newsboys across the city, moving Jack and his friends to fight for their rights by going on strike.

In tandem with the main plot, a love story blooms between characters Jack, played by Ben Kindler (‘19), and Katherine, played by Hannah Prudlow (19’). Newsies is a musical with a heavy dancing component, and has proved to be a challenge that the theater department is willing to take. The lead ensemble is comprised of Ben Kindler, Hannah Prudlow, Sasha Pavlovic (‘19), Nishanth Namboothiry (‘22), Jonah Morioka (‘20), and Tommy Benning (‘22); lead dancers are Grace Hubler (‘19) and Lauren Langeberg (‘19).

Prudlow shares, “Rehearsals have been going so well so far and they’re always so much fun! The cast is super close this year and I think that’s because there are so many ensemble numbers which are always the most fun.” Mrs. Hickmann adds, “All of the students and directors are working hard and are looking forward to the moment we can get on the stage at the Wilson Center and share this great show with everyone!”

Along with preparing for shows in November, the BCHS Theater Department has applied for the school to participate in a statewide competition called the Jerry Award. The Jerry Awards, one of Wisconsin’s high school musical awards programs, encourages, recognizes, and honors excellence in high school musical theater. If BC’s musical ensemble wins this award, they will be performing Newsies again in the spring.

Newsies tickets have already started selling at the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center box office and will be sold in school shortly. Shows are from November 16 through the 18; be sure get your tickets now before they sell out — this show will definitely be one for the books.