BC Choir travels to New Orleans

Alison+Hartwig

Members of all three BC’s Chamber Choir, Womens’ Choir, and Concert Choir, along with director Mr. Phil Olson, pose before embarking on a river boat dinner cruise. The group spent 5 days in New Orleans singing, learning, and having a great time.

From Tuesday March 10th through Saturday March 14th, members of all three of BC’s choirs traveled to New Orleans, Louisiana to spread their music and experience an amazing new culture. The group of 32 students, 2 parent volunteers, and Mr. Olson departed Tuesday afternoon and flew from Milwaukee, with a short stop in Atlanta, to New Orleans!

The group of students from Chamber, Women’s and Concert choir had rehearsed long hours for three weeks in preparation for the trip, and their set list was extensive and varied. The choir featured sacred, classical songs such as Ave Verum Corpus by Mozart and Let Thy Hand Be Strengthened by Handel as well as some more popular songs including Java Jive as recorded by Manhattan Transfer and Lazy River by Carmichael and Arodin.

The trip was jam-packed with activities, tours, free time and learning experiences for the students and adults. Wednesday started off with some informal performances in a local mall and park, a cemetery tour, and a guide through the historic French Quarter of New Orleans. Thursday was packed with a clinic at Loyola College with Professor Meg Frazier, a tour of the Garden District and local cemetery, time for beignets, and a dinner cruise on the Mississippi River. The last full day of activities, Friday, began with a performance at the famous Saint Louis Cathedral, lunch made at the New Orleans School of Cooking in an interactive cooking class, the National WWII museum, and more dancing at an authentic Cajun restaurant. The group finally arrived home Saturday afternoon with many stories to tell and memories to cherish! “The trip was fantastic. The weather was warm, we had tons of fun, and the food was amazing. We sang, we danced, and we had fun together as a group.” said senior Chamber choir member Jason Hubler (’15).

Clearly the trip impacted the students and parents involved, as they all made new memories and learned new things. “The New Orleans trip was more than just an incredible opportunity for the choirs to perform; it was also a chance for all of us to bond. The combination of great food, a vibrant culture, and an absolutely wonderful group of students made the trip an experience of a lifetime”, said Abbey Olson (’15), another senior member of Chamber choir. Although they did miss some school, the kids all felt that it was worth it. The experience and opportunity could not have been passed up. Senior Lara Weiner summed up the trip perfectly saying, “It was an unexpected trip where new friends and music were brought together in an adventure that I will remember forever.”