The student news site of Brookfield Central High School in Brookfield, Wisconsin

Brookfield Central Tyro

Brookfield Central Tyro

Brookfield Central Tyro

The Lancerettes Wrap Up the 2023-2024 Season

While you may have seen the Lancerettes effortlessly perform routines at Brookfield Central’s sporting events, the successes of their competition season may go unnoticed. However, behind the scenes, the Lancerettes practice up to 10 hours a week choreographing their dances and perfecting techniques. 

Their competition season began in July at a Badgerette camp at St. Norbert College. Badgerette is a Wisconsin-based pom and dance company, an organization that the Lancerettes often dance for. At these camps, dancers compete in their routines and workshop with professionals to perfect their dances. At the summer camp, the Lancerettes were able to qualify to compete in their routines at the Midwest Grand Championships in August. 

At Midwest, the Lancerettes scored great marks in group, duet, and solo routines, ultimately landing them in 9th place in the Large Varsity team category. A stand-out performance from the championship was Ella Schlee (‘26) who was the second sophomore in the pom solo and 15th overall out of one hundred other dancers. At Midwest, the Lancerettes were also able to qualify to dance in the Badgerette All-Star Talent Tour. 

The Lancerettes then traveled to Disney World in early February to participate in the event hosted by Badgerette. The dancers participated in hip-hop workshops, competitions, and parties at the end of the night. The trip was capped off with a Badgerette Parade of Champions down Main Street where the Lancerettes, along with a number of other Wisconsin high school dance teams, got to show off all their hard work to visitors at Disney. 

At Disney, all of the Badgerettes were able to vote for dancers from each grade to be honored. Lexi Panther (‘27) was one of the eight freshmen chosen to compete at the Badgerette Spirit competition hosted at Brookfield East later in February. The Spirit competition was the last of the season for the Lancerettes, ending with a bang as Panther won the freshman pom solo. 

When asked about her experience on the team so far, Panther stated, ” Being a Lancerette is a challenging and rewarding experience that has made me a better dancer and person.” Her first year on the team has been very successful when it comes to competitions.

The Lancerettes continue to work on the off-season as competitions and performances have come to a halt. The work and dedication they have put into their routines this year have certainly paid off.