The student news site of Brookfield Central High School in Brookfield, Wisconsin

Brookfield Central Tyro

Brookfield Central Tyro

Brookfield Central Tyro

Girl’s BB Season Wrap Up

Following a regional semi-final game with Kimberly on February 23, Brookfield Central’s Girls’ Basketball concluded their season.
Girls BB Season Wrap Up

This season was full of ups and downs, starting with losses against Franklin, Indian Trail, and Wauwatosa East. A win against West Allis Hale put them back on track. The following weeks of December featured two conference losses against DSHA and Hamilton and a non-conference loss to Muskego. Up next was the previous season’s State runner ups: Brookfield East.

Sophomore Dylan Romero noted that facing East was the toughest opponent of the season given East’s illustrious record, saying, “it was hard coming into the game knowing what we’re up against.” The loss was quickly brushed off, however, as the Kimberly Tournament over winter break was approaching, with games against Kimberly and Oak Creek. Although both were losses, sophomore duo Olivia Staff and Dylan Romero agreed that the tournament was a favorite memory.

Following the tournament, games against Menomonee Falls and Wauwatosa East ended in losses, while a win was secured against non-conference opponents Brookfield Academy. The next game against West Allis Hale was close, but Hale pulled ahead to secure their victory over the Lancers 51-49. The team continued on with losses against DSHA, Beaver Dam, Hamilton, and Brookfield East for a second time.

As conference games winded down in February, the team secured an away win against Wauwatosa West, but losses against Catholic Memorial, Germantown, Menomonee Falls, as well as a home game loss to Wauwatosa West, tested their resilience. Entering the WIAA tournament, the team won their regional entry game against Green Bay East, but missed an opportunity to advance to the regional final game with their loss against Kimberly 81-49.

One of the positives Staff took away from this season was the team’s ability to keep pushing forward despite numerous setbacks, ranging from injury to illness. Romero added, “team chemistry was really good, and we all got to know each other better and also were understanding of everyone’s position on the team”. When asked about what made the team successful, both sophomores commented that “team chemistry and wanting to get better” did most of the work. Along with that, individual preparation for games was varied, but important nonetheless. Romero listened to music before games, not using her phone an hour before. Staff utilized carbo crams before home games to prepare for the intensity of Central’s opponents.

Even though the season may not have ended the way the team wanted it to, memories were made and strong team bonds allowed them to remain resilient through all their obstacles. Looking into the future, the nature and culture of the program is sure to produce another season of great athletes and performances.