DECA succeeds at SCDC

Grace+Chialiva+%2818%2C+right%29+poses+as+the+new+Wisconsin+DECA+Vice+President+of+Leadership+Development.+

Megan Fisher

Grace Chialiva (’18, right) poses as the new Wisconsin DECA Vice President of Leadership Development.

Every year, high schools students from across Wisconsin compete at SCDC (State Career Development Conference), known as DECA State. Brookfield Central boasts the strongest DECA chapter in the state of Wisconsin. Brookfield Central sent their largest delegation in Brookfield Central’s history, 43 students. Of this number, 39 were finalists. Seventeen students qualified for the international competition with three competitors placing first.

At this conference, students competed in four different categories: Marketing, Finance, Hospitality & Tourism, and Business Management & Administration. At competitions, each student takes part in two role plays and one subject test. These scores determine the ranking of the student and whether or not they qualify for the international competition. This year, international competitors will travel to Anaheim, California.

This year was an especially good year for Brookfield Central, not only in competition where seventeen people qualified for internationals, but also in leadership. This year Brookfield Central got their first ever DECA state officer. After weeks of interviews and other requirements, Grace Chialiva (’18) was elected to the position Vice President of Leadership Development. Chialiva and five other state officers will run all state and district conventions for the next year of DECA. She is also in charge of the Wisconsin DECA Leadership Council. “We are kinda like the student council liaisons,” Chialiva explains. “We communicate from Wisconsin DECA to the chapters across the state.”

This year has been one of DECA’s most successful yet, and the club is looking forward to many more.