Brookfield Central Tyro

Mary Poppins Returns delights audiences of all ages

fatherly.com

Emily Otten, Online Editor

Disney, and a few other film studios like Sony or Warner Brothers, have made it a trend over the past few years to recreate their older films for a pathetic, cash-grabbing movie that usually never lives up to original. These recreations or revivals are usually just carbon copies of the original film, but with less of the magic and depth that made the original so enjoyable. At first, many believed that the new Mary Poppins film would be done in a similar style to the live action films Beauty and the Beast or Christopher Robin. However, instead of a mere carbon copy of the original, Mary Poppins Returns is a continuation of the story of the mysterious nanny.

Within the first few seconds of the film the viewers are welcomed to early 20th century London with a cheery song sung by Lin-Manuel Miranda that pulls the viewers back into the world of Mary Poppins. When the story begins the viewers discover that Michael Banks (Ben Whishaw) is no longer a child. He lives in his family home with his three children, Annabel (Pixies Davies), John (Nathanael Saleh) and Georgie (Joel Dawson). Though their lives are usually joyful, the new generation of Banks children have been coping with the death of their mother, and Michael struggles with financial issues. With foreclosure looming in the future, the whole Banks family feels hopeless until they are paid a visit by the magical Mary Poppins (Emily Blunt). The Banks children and Mary Poppins are accompanied by a leery named Jack (Lin-Manuel Miranda) as they embark on an adventure to save their home and all the joyful memories that live within it.

Mary Poppins Returns, much like the original, is pure fun. The juxtaposition of animation and live action actors still creates the same magical effect it did in the original with seamless editing that tricks the eye into thinking that the main characters were actually transported into the vibrant world of animation. By continuing the story instead of remaking it, the film has more depth to it. We as the audience are able to follow the same characters as the first film and see how they have changed over time while following some new characters as well. The film also doesn’t feel like a replacement for the original film – it plays with many of the same nuances that the original film had without blatantly copying the story. The casting of the film is just as exceptional, with Emily Blunt perfectly encapsulating the strict yet caring nanny and Ben Whishaw creating a realistic character arch for Michael Banks.

In all, with the improved editing, unique yet classic film style and compelling story Mary Poppins Returns sets itself apart from the rest of Disney’s disappointing remakes as its own film, separate from the original. Because of the originality brought into this new film paired with that classic Disney magic, Mary Poppins Returns will live down in the childhood memories of many children in future years.

3.5 out of 4 stars