Boy’s Swim Season Ends

Photo Credit: Coach Van Donkersgoed

Starting from the WIAA D1 sectionals that were on February 11 and held in Greenfield at Greendale High School, the Brookfield Barracudas already made a huge splash. With tons of fast swims, the Barracudas finished first overall, earning the title, of Sectional Champions. The 200 freestyle relay which consisted of junior Tom Bergin (‘24), freshman Nish Kumar (‘26), Brookfield East sophomore Caleb Smith (‘25), and Brookfield Central senior Stuart Seymour (‘23) placed first with a time of 1:27.90, thus earning a spot to swim at state. In the 100 backstrokes, Stuart Seymour crushed it by taking first and breaking the Greendale High School pool record with a time of 48.77. Finally, the 400 freestyle relay consisting of Tom Bergin, Brookfield East sophomore Owen Prescott (‘25), Caleb Smith, and Stuart Seymour brought it home by taking first place once more.

After a successful sectional, the boys went on to conquer the WIAA D1 state championships that were held this weekend on February 18. Overall the team did an amazing job. They placed thirteenth in their 200 medley relay, kicking off the start of the meet. Their 400 freestyle relay just barely missed the podium, placing seventh. The Barracudas placed on the podium for the 200 freestyle relay, a big accomplishment. Stuart Seymour ended up achieving the D1 WIAA 100 Butterfly state champ, earning gold with a time of 47.62, beating the 2nd place by more than a second. He also went on to absolutely demolish the 100 backstroke State Record that was set in 2019, 48.09, placing first once more with a time of 47.77, an amazing feat.

Overall, through the many months of tough training, five day morning practices a week, the Brookfield Barracudas’ season ended strongly on a high note.