The student news site of Brookfield Central High School in Brookfield, Wisconsin

Brookfield Central Tyro

Brookfield Central Tyro

Brookfield Central Tyro

Oscar Nominations

Oscar Nominations

The nominations for the 2024 Oscars were announced on January 23rd, but a few big names were left out. With such an incredible year in film, the Academy Awards had a number of performances to sort through for nominations. That being said, plenty of actors, directors, and movies that were expecting nominations were snubbed, while some were unexpectedly nominated. 

Barbie, the highest grossing movie of 2023, had a strong showing at award shows earlier in 2024, with it being nominated for six Golden Globes, in which it won Cinematic and Box Office Achievement. In addition, it was nominated for a record-breaking eighteen Critics Choice Awards, winning six. Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig had been nominated for Best Actress and Best Director, respectively, at both the Golden Globes and Critics Choice awards, though neither won. Both were expected to receive the same nominations for the Oscars, but neither were nominated. With it being the biggest movie of the year, and Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig contributing the most to the film as the lead actress and director, it was a shock for many to not see them nominated for the most prestigious awards in film. The movie itself was still nominated for Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Costume design, and other awards, but what has some outraged is that Ryan Gosling, playing Ken, was nominated for best supporting actor. Some see Gosling receiving the nomination while Robbie and Gerwig were not acknowledged as resembling major themes throughout the film itself- women’s work not amounting to men’s. Although, some see the film as not being Oscar-worthy in the first place. Whether you view the snubs as sexist, or whether you believe they just didn’t deserve the nomination, it was unexpected to not see their names. 

Barbie was not the only movie to see nomination snubs. Saltburn, one of the most talked about and controversial movies of 2024, saw no nominations. Rosamund Pike was expected to receive the nomination for Best Supporting Actress, and the film was expected to be nominated for best Original Screenplay. In addition, though the film received ten nominations overall, Leonardo DiCaprio did not receive the Best Actor nomination for Killers of the Flower Moon and the film went unrecognized for Best Adapted Screenplay. 

While some movies were not properly recognized by the Academy, others saw an abundance of nominations, some unexpected. Oppenheimer, Barbie’s box-office counterpart, received 13 nominations for this year’s Oscars. With Cillian Murphy receiving the nomination for Best Actor, Christopher Nolan for Best Director, Robert Downey Jr. for Best Supporting Actor, and Emily Blunt for Best Supporting Actress, the film has become one of the most nominated in Oscars history. It is not surprising that Oppenheimer received the nominations it did, and it is presumed to win in most of those categories. 

Some surprises that came from the nominations include America Ferrera’s nomination for Best Supporting Actress in Barbie, and John William’s nomination for Best Score in Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. 

Look out for the Oscars award show on March 10th, 8 PM Central Time on ABC!