The student news site of Brookfield Central High School in Brookfield, Wisconsin

Brookfield Central Tyro

Brookfield Central Tyro

Brookfield Central Tyro

DYW 2024

DYW 2024
Catherine Catherall

On Saturday, January 13th, 2024, the 20th annual Distinguished Young Women Competition took place at the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center in Brookfield. There were a total of 22 junior girls competing, 19 from Brookfield and 3 from Elm Grove. These girls have been preparing all school year with multiple practices and responsibilities involved. They all shined on stage, had immense fun, and formed a lasting bond with each other.
The competition consisted of five events, each worth different percentages of points: 25% scholastic, 25% private interview skills with judges, 20% talent, 15% self expression, and 15% fitness abilities. Standardized testing, academic clubs, and grades were considered in the scholastic scores. For the interview, each girl answered arbitrary questions from the judges for 10 minutes. The girls performed a solo talent for the audience and judges as well as answering a self expression question that aims to exemplify their values, passions, and or aspirations. Finally, there was a choreographed fitness routine that the girls performed together. This year, the group routine was the song “Ex’s & Oh’s” by Elle King, and the individual routine was to the song “Treasure” by Bruno Mars.
All of the participants shined in their own way, but a few stood out specifically. The third runner up of the DYW of Brookfield was Suha Muqeet (BCHS ‘25). The second runner up was Annabelle Leh (DSHA ‘25), and the first runner up was Gabby Panther (BCHS ‘25).
The Distinguished Young Woman of Brookfield 2024 is Ashriya Rajesh (BCHS ‘25). Additionally, the Distinguished Young Woman of Elm Grove 2024 is Cecilia Cornell (BEHS ‘25). Rajesh and Cornell will both be advancing on to the DYW state competition later this year!
Distinguished Young Women’s mission is to empower young women to reach their full potential by providing scholarship opportunities for college as well as personal development to become confident leaders. This event was a phenomenal success and all participants shined on stage! A special thanks to Mrs. Linnihan, the club and competition manager; Maggie Feng (BCHS ‘24), the DYW of Brookfield 2023; Lucy Erwin (‘24), the DYW of Elm Grove (BEHS ‘24); and all of the volunteers and the judges.