The student news site of Brookfield Central High School in Brookfield, Wisconsin

Brookfield Central Tyro

Brookfield Central Tyro

Brookfield Central Tyro

BC’s New Baking Club

BCHS Baking Club

Introducing…. Central’s Newest Club!

Baking Club started this year with its first meeting on November 15th. You are still free to join and would be required a $20 fee to register.

The club was an idea that Emily and I [Sneha] came up with during Personal Fitness and Wellness last year.

The board consists of President Emily O’Connor, and officers Sneha Rana and Nhu Y Truong. 

In an interview featuring Emily O’Connor and Sneha Rana:

What made you want to start the club?

Emily: “I love to bake, and I’m working towards becoming a baker in the future. BC doesn’t have any food classes, but I still wanted to meet with other people interested in baking so we could learn and improve our skills together.”

Sneha: “I enjoy baking at home, and oftentimes I’ll bring the stuff I make to school, so having a club for this activity seemed like the natural thing to do.”

How have you felt about the club since the first meeting?

“I love to bake, and I’m working towards becoming a baker in the future. BC doesn’t have any food classes, but I still wanted to meet with other people interested in baking so we could learn and improve our skills together. 

What’s an issue the club has faced so far and how did you overcome it?

Emily: “I was so nervous with the start of the club, we had a pretty big problem almost immediately. Our frosting hadn’t softened up in time, and it really threw me off, but after working with the club’s officers and Ms. Tiptons’s microwave, everything just flowed nicely afterward. Our first meeting ended so light-hearted, I saw exactly what I was hoping the club would turn out like. Everyone just relaxed, talked, and enjoyed decorating cookies with one another. I’m excited to keep seeing where the club is going to go, and can’t wait to interact with the BC community moving forward. Our next meeting is December 6th!”

Sneha: “I guess this is a thing for all clubs, but people are a little stingy when it comes to paying for club fees. We do not have much funding to begin with, and we want to continue getting ingredients and doing the stuff we do, but the only way we can do this is with the money we have.” 

What’s something that you hope to see for the club in the future?

“Definitely bigger kitchens.”

[In a short, but straightforward interview with Madame Tipton, the club advisor]:

How do you feel about being the club advisor for BC Baking Club?

“Good.”

[ . . . ]

“Just kidding, I feel great about being the club advisor. I think the BC Baking Club was a great addition to the school and I’m excited to see what you guys do in the future.”

Come join us for fun treats and informative meetings on modern baking techniques and other information!

Make sure to follow @bchs.bakingclub on Instagram.